Tuesday 12 November 2013

Gig Review: CUD - Live @ The Ruby Lounge (09/11/2013)


















See this is what happens isn't it? You wait ages for a blog post about CUD and then three come along at once. Anyroadup, here goes with this one.

I was lucky enough to get tickets to go and see them play their Manchester date on Saturday 9th November 2013. It hath verily been a long time since thegeneral let her hair down. So long in fact that I actually remember the lone violin player, the crowds of people trying to escape and the panic that the running buffet on the Titanic might run out of mini pasties (it didn't, but they weren't half damp).

It was therefore with a great sense of excitement that I sat at my dressing table applying ALL THE EYELINER IN THE WORLD, before slipping into my little indie frock and Hey Boots to make the journey into the entertainment capital of the world. Oswaldtwistle. No. No, that was another night out entirely. No, I really was on my way to Manchester. Getting old you see. Getting forgetful. Who are you again...?

The Ruby Lounge is a really nice, homely and friendly venue - warm and inviting, with a great atmosphere and a welcoming feel. After a quick scoot round the stage to get the above shot ^^ a little light reclining was partaken of on the comfy leather sofas whilst waiting for the evening to kick off properly.

At 9.30pm sharp (bit racily late for thegeneral, it has to be said...) CUD arrived on stage and struck up with one of my favourites - the brilliantly charming and sweet "Hey Boots". They must have known I was wearing my knee highs that night. Oh baby, etc. It really kicked everything off in great style and the gig sped by at a rate of knots. The whole set list was brilliant, but the stand out tracks were "Not Exactly DLERC", "Rich and Strange", "Purple Love Balloon", "Robinson Crusoe" and the wonderfully dirty "Neurotica". Special mention though has to go to the new single "Louise/Mexico" which you can read about here and then go and buy...please...go buy it! When they came back on and played "Slack Time" it was a proper punch the air and shout out moment, just thrilling.

I don't think I stopped dancing the whole time, it was impossible not to move and be moved by the brilliant sounds and the obvious joy in seeing the band really enjoying what they were doing. They haven't lost it one bit - and to be honest, put a lot of other, younger upstarts to shame.

The whole evening was like reliving my teenage years all over again - remembering how the music made me feel (...somewhat lusty it has to be said, I'll spare your blushes...) but the main thing I'll take away from the night was how good natured it was. How lovely the crowd were, what a friendly atmosphere it was and how the fans were up on stage dancing with the band and it just felt right. Someone on Twitter commented that it was the first time they'd seen an over 40's Mosh Pit, but bloody hell they were showing the rest of us how it should be done.

So, exhausted, but incredibly happy - it was time to leave and wend my weary way home, head and heart singing, body buzzing and fizzing with energy and a feeling that I'd witnessed something very special indeed.

Please come back to Manchester soon. This time it wasn't too circumspect to expect your special effects to effect. They did. Magic.


No comments:

Post a Comment