Wednesday 27 August 2014

The August List - Cut Yr Teeth

Cut Yr Teeth / Red Light On The Tower cover art

It's been over a month. I can only apologise to my one reader. "I'm sorry, darling". There. Now it's all OK again.

My absence from the blogosphere can be easily explained - but I'll keep you guessing as to where I've been. I'll simply tell you a) it's been very nice and b) I won't ever be able to look at Dream Topping in the same way again.

Anyway - meaningless meanders aside I'm back with a belter. Eagle eyed readers will remember that last year I featured sparkily brilliant Oxford band The August List on these very pages and I admitted it was probably the first time I'd ever written about an alt-country-blues tinged act. I loved their last EP "High Town Crow" and was mightily pleased to be asked to feature them again.

Now the duo are back with a brand spanking new single, released prior to their new album which is out on 29th September and is entitled "O Hinterland".

First things first - as always, the link to the band's bandcamp page so you can listen, enjoy and buy:

theaugustlist.bandcamp.com/

"Cut Yr Teeth" is absolutely brilliant. It's really alive, it's full of energy, it bounces and it's got an ace spark to it. The repetition of the lyrics helps to drive the rhythm of the chords along and make it something that you really only need one listen of to get it stuck in your head.

It's a double A side single and the second track "Red Light On The Tower" is a wonderful complement. It's a nicely swirling number - with a calmness and slowness that provides a nice juxtaposition to the opener. There's a real power to it, the vocal performance is so beautifully nuanced - it soars in all the right places and is gently tapered in others.

I've said it before that I don't feature enough acts like this on the blog and listening to this new single makes me really excited for the release of the album which I'm so looking forward to reviewing when it comes out. In the meantime, please spend some of your heard earned cash and but this single, because you need it in your lives. The August List are a great duo really worthy of your time. Give them a listen!


No comments:

Post a Comment