Tuesday 10 December 2013

The Knievel Dead - Psychosis

Psychosis cover art

PHEW. It's Tuesday. It's tea time. In the words of Gene Hunt "I'm 'avin 'oops". Except that was lunchtime. And it was 1973. And it was a fictional drama. And this is real life. And I'm a girl. Yes. I should stop this now. Anyway, it's Tuesday and we're almost teetering on the precipice of it being half way through the working week, but not quite. So what we all need is a shot of adrenalin to carry us over and see us right.

What have I got? I've got a mug of tea and my shattered dreams. That's it. Oh and I do have another excellent new musical offering for you.

I'd like you to take a moment or seven out of your boring days to have a listen to The Knievel Dead. First of all, hoik your gussets over to their bandcamp page:

http://the-knievel-dead.bandcamp.com/

...and have a listen.

Now then. Aren't they good? And I have to be honest (and I also have to stop starting sentences with "and", it's fucking annoying) totally not what I was expecting either. When the band kindly got in touch and sent me the link to their soundcloud page and their website, I was expecting something -  in the words of Monty Python - completely different to what I got.

I love this EP. I love it. It's just the right side of being too heavy, it's haunting, it's dark and and it's scuzzy. The opening track "Psychosis" (also their new single) is a real interesting juxtaposition - brilliant fuzzy guitars, a proper PROPER catchy hook, matched with a really surprisingly muted and beautiful vocal. I think that was what took me by the lapels and shook me the most, how the vox and guitars seemed diametrically opposed, but worked so well together.

The Knievel Dead seem to have a real great knack of nailing brilliantly catchy riffs, each song on here has them and they feel so natural, very progressive and easy. The final track on the EP "Coming After You", to me, in it's style had an almost mussed-up-glam-rock feel to it. It felt recognisable, as if it had come from that time, but the sequins were peeling off and the eyeliner had smudged - a bit dirtified (but nicely so).

So I urge you to go forth and buy their EP. I also heartily encourage you to visit their website and find out a little more about them:

http://www.theknieveldead.com/

And I also hope they come back very soon into the new year with more of the same. And now I really am going to stop starting sentences with "and".




No comments:

Post a Comment