Sunday 30 November 2014

Roja - Promises I Should Have Kept EP

Roja image

Well greetings to you all. It's Super Blog Sunday (which literally means "I ran out of time to do all the fun stuff during the week and am frantically catching up now"), so today there's two for the price of one. I know you're all really excited about this - apart from YOU AT THE BACK WHO SEEMS TO HAVE FALLEN ASLEEP - WAKE UP!!!

OK, for my first offering today I'd simply love to introduce you to a brilliant band from Liverpool called Roja. Roja are very new to my musical radar, but a very welcome addition they are indeed.

Tomorrow (1st December) sees the release of their new EP "Promises I Should Have Kept" and I've been given a lovely sneaky wee preview of it.

Here's a link to their bandcamp page to see what they're all about:

rojamusica.bandcamp.com/

...and once the single is released properly I'll update this page with the necessaries so you can go and buy it/tell your friends/marry it etc.

I can honestly say that this new EP is a real breath of fresh air to listen to. First track "Yeah I Could" is utterly outstanding - and it's followed by three others "The End", "The Evil Stands High" and "It's Not Just A Game" - each are really worthy in their own right and go to make up a collection of tracks that are surprising in their ferocity and brilliance.

The act call themselves a modern mariachi act and there's a great feel to their music. It's vibrant, it's brassy and it's very complete - whilst it's music that makes you want to move, there is also a delightfully sepia tinged sadness to the songs. The guitars mix beautifully with the brass and the vocals are powerful and raw.

These tracks follow on from last year's LP of the same title and they pave the way for a new record which is to come next year. After hearing these tracks I can most definitely say that I'm really looking forward to hearing what they come up with.

Roja are definitely one to watch in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment