Sunday 19 October 2014

Cats Park - A Taste of Heaven

A Taste of Heaven cover art

Welcome to Sunday you big bunch of reprobates. How are you all doing? Well, I hope. ANSWER ME AND TAKE YOUR ELBOWS OFF THE TABLE WHEN I'M TALKING TO YOU...

Ahem.

Anyway. I think judging by the tone of the opening sentence I'm in need of something to calm to troubled waters of my mind and I think I might just have it...and, because I'm nice, I'm going to share it with you. Possibly.

No, I am really.

I'm really a huge fan of electronica and I don't get to feature nearly enough of it on here. So, first of all, a clarion call - if you are an electronica act, please contact me (thegeneralmusicblog@googlemail.com) if you'd like your kit and kaboodle reviewing. Today's post features just such an act and I'm really pleased to introduce you to Cats Park.

First of all, hoik your lapels over to their bandcamp page and have a listen to their latest album "A Taste of Heaven":

catspark.bandcamp.com/

Whilst the album came out at the end of last year, the reason for this post is that (I am reliably informed) the band have made it to the first round of nominations for next year's (2015) Grammy Awards - and, from listening to the record it is easy to see why.

The last single from the album "In My Room" is a corker. It's a really nice melding of perfect pop and trippy, wistful sounds. Vocalist Faijee has one of those voices that is instantly soothing and eminently listenable to and the entire album feels like a great crossover between good indie guitar songs and dubby keyboard goodness.

Some people feel that electronica can be a little bit one-note and a bit too samey. Cats Park prove that it isn't, that there's plenty variety in the genre and that they're not afraid to experiment with unusual soundscapes.

Definitely one to add into your collection if you're already a fan of the genre, or simply want something to listen to that will gently lower you into the world of electronic music without being too much, too soon. You won't have heard the last of Cats Park, regardless - definitely one to watch (and listen to) now and in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment