Sunday 5 October 2014

The Whereabouts - I Don't Care



Two blog posts for the price of one. You can't say fairer than that of a weekend, can you? Thegeneral is actually in swinging sixties mode today, so following on from the brilliance of The Everglows, I'm keeping up the theme and bringing The Whereabouts to your attention.

I was genuinely really excited to get be contacted and asked to review these guys. They've been on my radar for a little while after the release of their initial recordings last year and their new EP "I Don't Care" has just been released. You can buy it by clicking on the following link:

i-dont-care/id914085170

The Whereabouts are a genuinely exciting prospect for the future. First of all, they've got real raw, musical talent. "I Don't Care" is a massively exciting EP. It's easy to see who their influences are, and who they take inspiration from, but there's more to them than just being a "painting by numbers" copycat band. Their songs are original, really interesting and solidly constructed. If the opening track to this collection of songs does not hook you in with it's awesome kick arse riff, then you have no soul. NO SOUL, I TELL YOU - AND WE CANNOT BE FRIENDS. SO THERE.

I mentioned in my last review of The Everglows, there were flashes of early *whispers* Status Quo. Here, in this EP, particularly in track two "Money and Fame" the guitars have that same feel, that same, real force and power, the same type of catchy hooks.

There simply isn't a bad track here. Every one of them will draw you in, in some way. The Whereabouts are an exciting, fresh act - with a real genuine energy to their music and their approach. Thegeneral cannot wait to see what they come up with next and in the meantime, spend some of your hard earned pennies on buying "I Don't Care".




No comments:

Post a Comment